Friday, July 20, 2012

Welcome Home, Little One!

After months of research I'd finally decided on a Djungarian Hamster and had my heart set on one. After only previously raising Syrian Hamsters I thought this would be a nice change. Well, I went to the PETCO near my house to do some pre-hamster-homecoming shopping, only to find out that they did not sell the Winter Whites I'd set my sights on! So I ended up getting a friend of ours to haul us completely across town to another PETCO that did have them. We run in and I bee-line straight to the small animal section, where I almost have a heart attack: The tank marked "Female Djungarian Hamster" is empty. But I peek inside the igloo and see the bedding rustling around a bit. There was still hope! Two workers came over to help us. A girl picked up the igloo and two tiny little noses poked out of the bedding. The boy scooped up one of the hamsters in the igloo and let me see her. She was beautiful. But she just sat there. She didn't appear to be frightened at all, but she just sat there. She let me pet her, but she just seemed so disinterested in the world. My boyfriend whispered in my ear, "Look at that one" I looked at the other one. She was peeking at us from behind a mound of bedding. The man saw me looking at her and switched the girls for me. This one was much more beautiful, and so much more lively! She ran in circles around, and around the igloo. It was the cutest thing! Then she stopped and looked up at us. I gave her a very gentle pet and announced "She's the one." They boxed her up, I signed the papers, paid, and we were on our way! When we got home, I cupped her up and put her in her new home. She is kind of shy and is currently adjusting to her new home. I can't wait until I can start interacting with her more. :))


I have yet to settle on a name for her though! If you have any suggestions, please let me know! Thank you!

-Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment